Friday, April 06, 2018

A click-tastic kind of day

Things are clicking! Mostly my fingers all over the keyboard and mouse, copying and pasting a bit of text from here to there and clicking "send" and checking names off a master list, all in service of the big campus event I'm organizing--All Scholars Day, highlighting students' research and creative projects--which happens two weeks from today. Not that I'm counting.

So far everything is running really smoothly, which scares me a little because I worry that I'm overlooking some big essential task, but I definitely appreciate the lack of glitches in the system (so far). Lots of things have to happen in the next two weeks, including polishing up the program to send it to the printer, which will inspire a whole host of people to come out of the woodwork with information that absolutely must go into the program or else, at which point I get to decide whether to print an addendum--and then, what? Find some idle person to stuff the addendum into 500 printed programs?  Or point out the definition of the word "deadline" and just leave the info out? I haven't decided yet.

Yesterday's click-fest involved e-mailing each individual presenter to reveal where and when they would be presenting and confirm the title of the presentation. I started with a template, of course, and personalized it as needed, but that required a lot of copy-and-pasting and checking of names, times, and locations. Six hours it took me, six hours that left me with tired eyes and a sore neck and a strong desire to never click a mouse again.

So as soon as it was done I went straight home for a walk in the woods. Trilliums are popping up and bloodroot is blooming, but I'll never see them as long as my eyes are glued to the monitor and my fingers to the keyboard and mouse. Spring can't be copied and pasted or stored in a file folder for later perusal, so I think I'd better rest the clicking fingers for a little while and head outside, where the only things clicking are the chipmunks. 

No comments: