Friday, August 08, 2014

Fulfilling my zucchini's destiny

A message in my e-mail inbox urges me to "Fulfill your sewing destiny," which may be difficult considering that I can no longer see well enough to thread a needle. No matter, though: this week I've been too busy fulfilling my office-painting, book-moving, syllabus-constructing, broccoli-chopping, veggie-processing, and online-shoe-shopping destiny to worry about my sewing destiny. Who decided that it would be a good idea to harvest a whole bushel of Swiss chard the day I moved into my new office? And who, exactly, is responsible for overlooking that one zucchini until it grew big enough to require a separate storage silo? 

This is true: I shredded half of that zucchini to make eight loaves of zucchini bread. Yes. How can people be starving anywhere in the world?

The good news is that my syllabi are pretty much done and my office is done except for plants and picture-hanging, and it's not likely that we'll have that much zucchini, broccoli, and Swiss chard in the kitchen at one time anytime soon. My many-meeting-marathon begins August 18, which leaves next week wide open for finishing up my summer writing and research projects. If all goes well, we may even get the canoe out again.

Wait: if we hollow out that giant zucchini, do you think it will float?  

No comments: