Monday, June 09, 2014

Applause from a little swinger

When I'm immersed in a pile of fair-to-middling student essays and wondering how many hundreds more I'll have to read before lunch, I lift up my eyes from the page and see in front of me this wonderful photo of my granddaughter smiling and swinging and clapping her hands. I imagine that she's cheering me on: "Yay Grandma! You can do it! Keep reading! Go go go!" And I do.

Sometimes it's the small things that make me go on. And on and on and on. One day down! Only six more days of reading essays in Louisville! Woo-hoo! Applause all around!

4 comments:

penn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
penn said...

Edited to reduce google-ability:

Are you grading those year-end tests from a common national-standard honors class? I teach one of those classes (for bio), and my department chair suggested I apply to be a reader some year.

Bev said...

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. This is my third time and I really dreaded having to do it this year, but it's going quite well so far. It's really a great way to see what students and teachers all over the country are doing (and not doing), and it's fun to hang out with teachers from all over the place. I recommend doing it at least once.

penn said...

Yes, I hope to do so :-) I hear it's a good way to truly understand how to prepare your students for the test. This was my first year teaching, and I have NO idea how well my students might have done. Some of them apparently slept through the short answer, so I expect a handful of ones (frustrating, but such is life).

Thanks for your work as a reader!