Thursday, February 20, 2014

The office is blowing in the wind

What season is it when you spot a member of the grounds crew using a leaf-blower in the snow?

I know what you're thinking: leaf-blower, snow-blower, same thing really. But no: he was not using the leaf-blower to blow snow but to blow leaves that have been buried under piles of snow for three weeks and are gradually being exposed as the snow melts. Perhaps you've already spotted the flaw in this plan, but if not, I'll give you a hint: when snow melts, where does the water go?

So here was this guy working really hard to try to dislodge leaves that have been squashed into sticky mulch when he could put the leaf-blower to better use warming up my office. For reasons no one has been able to explain, cold air is continually blowing from the ceiling vents in my office, making it colder than the surrounding offices and even the hallway. Someone standing on my desk with a leaf-blower could conceivably counteract the negative effect of all that cold air on my office's ambiance. I might have to wear earplugs to avoid the noise, but at least I would be a little less cold.

When the outdoor temperatures dipped below zero and then stayed there a while, my office was cozy and comfortable, but now it's actually colder in my office than outside. But hey, if I relocate my office to the great outdoors, that would be a great solution to my claustrophobia problem.

If you need me, follow the growl of distant leaf-blowers. 

No comments: