Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Paddling upstream

For a few brief moments yesterday, I was caught up on everything--course preps, grading, miscellaneous annoying tasks. 

Today begins the deluge: essay exams in one class, paper drafts in another. Exams Thursday and Friday in other classes plus an online discussion to evaluate. Starting at 9:30 today, I'll be grading grading grading for the rest of the week.

It's easier to keep my nose to the grindstone when I can see a light at the end of the tunnel (although you have to wonder what kind of idiot puts a grindstone inside a dark tunnel, especially if it's a railroad tunnel, in which case you have to wonder how much damage a grindstone would do to a moving train or whether the train would smash it to smithereens and emerge relatively unscathed)--now where was I?

Oh yes: nose to the grindstone, shoulder to the wheel, eyes firmly fixed on the light at the end of the tunnel (a position bound to result eventually in neck cramps): early Saturday I'm looking at a used canoe! In Columbus! That sounds exactly like what we've been looking for! And comes equipped with paddles, life preservers, and car-top carrier! So I won't be up the creek without a paddle while keeping my nose to the grindstone and shoulder to the wheel and eyes on the light at the end of the tunnel!

Speaking of deluges, stop me before I drown in cliches!

No comments: