Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Even workaholics have their limits

So I'm parallel parking my station wagon across from campus (because the campus parking lots have been invaded by pickup trucks), and as I pull up and back and up and back I notice an international student standing in the tree lawn just across the road from me and grinning like an idiot. I pull up, she grins; pull back, she nods; pull up, she grins again. Could anyone possibly have a life so empty that watching me parallel park counts as entertainment?

But no. I gather up my things and cross the street but before my feet hit the curb she's holding out a paper and asking me to go through it with her to correct her grammar. 

Seriously.

1. She is definitely NOT my student. I don't even know her name. 

2. I don't even WORK in the Writing Center any more and I haven't worked there since this student left kindergarten.

3. In case you haven't noticed, it's SPRING BREAK.

So no, I won't be going through this student's paper with her. She'll have to stand there beside the road desperately awaiting the next parallel-parking professor, or perhaps accosting any random person who happens to wander by. 

  

3 comments:

jo(e) said...

How odd. Maybe you have a look-alike in the writing center?

Bev said...

Unlikely, since the Writing Center is staffed by students plus one (male) faculty member who serves as director. This is a small campus, and I think she's seen me around the department and knows I'm an English prof. The fact that she knows my car is a little more odd.

Contingent Cassandra said...

I received a random (at least I'm pretty sure it was random) email from someone in India wanting help with "proofreading" college essays a month or so ago. Very odd. I just ignored it.

My colleagues who teach ESL (and, I suspect, other ESL teachers elsewhere) are very kind, very patient, very dedicated people. I'm beginning to think that they just might be a bit too kind and patient and dedicated for the good of other professors (not to mention themselves).