Tuesday, July 06, 2010

And now for something completely different



We picked the first okra of the season this morning, plus cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi, and one plump red juicy tomato that we immediately sliced and served with fresh basil leaves on buttered toast. Wow. The first garden tomatoes of the season arrive like a revelation.

Butterflies have returned to the upper meadow along with zillions of little green grasshoppers. The place is hopping. The other day I followed a pair of indigo buntings through the bracken in an attempt to get a photo, but they kept ducking behind leaves and leading me onward until I was up to my elbows in tall weeds and poison ivy.

And then there were ticks. Let's not talk about the ticks.

The temperature stayed above 100 degrees until well after dark yesterday and the humidity is just wretched, but for a few brief golden moments early in the morning we can work in the garden and believe that we live in paradise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous pictures!

Bev said...

Thanks! I was disappointed to find no spangled fritillaries up there, if only because I love to say their name.