Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Taking a break from ubiquity

For the past few weeks I've been a bit ubiquitous on campus (although I know it makes no sense to modify "ubiquitous" with "a bit," because how can you be sort of everywhere?)--or maybe campus has been ubiquitous in me. I've taught classes; I've attended meetings and plays and musical events; I've dealt with hordes of people requiring my immediate assistance, and I've taken campus concerns home with me every weekend. But even Superman takes his cape off once in a while, so tomorrow Ubiquitous Girl is taking a break.

I'm calling it a Mental Health Day. I have no classes or meetings scheduled and I'm caught up on my grading (until Friday, when I'll give two midterm exams), so I intend to stay away from campus and its concerns for an entire day.

Where will I go? I don't know, but I'm accepting suggestions. I could stay home and read a good book. If the weather cooperates, I could go somewhere interesting and take a long hike with camera in hand. Tomorrow is payday, so I could even go to Columbus to shop and take myself out to lunch (although that would be more fun with company). The possibilities are endless--as long as I can get there and back in time to teach my morning classes on Friday.

The only place I refuse to visit is campus. So if you're looking for me tomorrow, you're bound to be disappointed--unless you want to flee ubiquity too. Instead of being a little bit Everywhere, we can aim directly west of Nowhere.

3 comments:

Quackademic said...

Have a great day!

Bardiac said...

I bet your pup would be happy to take you for a walk!

Or, better yet, I could share a stack of grading with you!

Laura said...

Hmm... If I didn't have class smack dab in the middle of my day, I would have joined you in Columbus!