Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Well seasoned

Last night while chopping hot peppers, I felt the heat in my fingertips; this morning while scraping ice off the windows, I felt the cold. This is really good news: a month ago I was still suffering from numbness in my fingers, a common side effect of chemotherapy, but now my nerves seem to be back in action.

And that's not the only improvement. Yesterday a colleague asked me to help with a problem, and I felt my creativity coming online quickly to tackle the task. I feel energetic and ready to jump back into the fray; my only concern is that I might take on too much too quickly and wear myself out.

The hot peppers and cold fingers reminded me that recovery may be accompanied by pain, but on the other hand, I prefer a life well seasoned with both fire and ice.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I will not rip off the poem in making a snappy retort, I will not rip off the poem in making a snappy...

Remember, pacing is everything. You're metaphorically climbing the big hill right now - and guess what, you're not even thinking of turning around before the summit. But, at that halfway point you don't want to poop out.

Can we go for a walk soon?

Bardiac said...

Yay, that's GREAT news! Hurray for feeling in your fingers!

Bev said...

I would love to go for a long walk, but right now my road has snow all over it. When is the sun coming out again?