Thursday, January 21, 2010

From leaner to leanee

So I'm at the rec center ready to mount the elliptical machine and when I pop in the earbuds and turn on the iPod shuffle, the first song that comes on is "Lean on Me," which makes me very happy.

I'm happy because I'm in the rec center, which I had to avoid all last semester. I'm happy because I can work out on the elliptical machine and even do some rowing on the erg without feeling as if I'm about to expire. But mostly I'm happy because the song reminds me of a time when I really needed somebody to lean on and my wonderful brother came through for me (read it here), and that reminds me of all the people I had to lean on last semester, all the members of my Cancer-Kicking Posse who picked up the slack and got me where I needed to go so that today I can walk steps to nowhere in the rec center.

But the lyrics also made me happy for another reason:

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Last semester I lived out the first part of that chorus, leaning on all kinds of people for all kinds of annoying tasks. Today I'm thinking about the other side of the story: now that my strength is restored, maybe I can provide the shoulder for someone else to lean on. I don't have to be the needy one anymore! So go ahead, lean on me! I can take it!

I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that song too! Ever seen the youtube version of Stand by Me (created for a project called Playing for Change), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM ? If not, check it out. It will give you the same feeling! You just can't help smiling after listening to/watching it. (I decided to find this again a few days ago because of everything that's been going on in the world. I just needed to hear it!) Both of these songs are guaranteed to lift your spirits no matter what is going on in your life or what's going in the world. So glad you're feeling better and SO glad you're happy! Just hearing that has given me a lift. Have a great week, Bev! Betsy

LenapeGirl said...

O happy day when you are doing so well and can think about returning all those good vibes. Stay the course!