Monday, January 04, 2010

Energetic resolutions

The college rec center was hopping today with faculty and staff members pursuing their New Year's resolutions--walking the track, working out with weights, huffing and puffing on bikes and step machines. I watched one staff member walking the track for 30 minutes with her cell phone pressed to her ear the whole time, but what's the point of leaving the office if you have to take the office with you?

I managed some weights and 25 minutes on the elliptical machine (at the lowest setting...moving very slowly) and I feel great, ready to tackle this afternoon's challenges. This morning I finished revising the syllabus for my creative nonfiction class, and this afternoon I need to work on American Lit. Academic buildings are quiet and there were only two sandwiches on display in the library cafe at lunchtime, but classes start next Monday so I expect to see some energy buzzing through the buildings soon.

The energy level at the rec center was pretty high...let's hope we can all keep pursuing our fitness resolutions even after classes begin.

No comments: