Wednesday, May 06, 2009

So much beauty so close to home

This morning I discovered that the wildflower I identified yesterday as wild oat is actually, on closer inspection, perfoliate bellwort (and what a clownish name for such a delicate yellow blossom!). The two plants have similar flowers, but the leaves of perfoliate bellwort look as if they're being pierced or perforated by the stem.

I also found both Solomon's Seal and False Solomon's Seal blooming in close proximity. The two species have similar foliage, but on Solomon's Seal, the tiny white-green blossoms hang like little lanterns along the underside of the arched stalk, while False Solomon's Seal features a cluster of blossoms bursting from the end of the stalk.

Finally, I noticed tiny feathery ferns unfurling in the underbrush. A few years ago in New Zealand I marveled over ferns unfurling in soft spirals, but I had never looked closely enough to notice so much beauty so close to home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Luscious greenery.