Friday, May 15, 2009

Ready to read

I knew I had forgotten some important preparation for summer break. I've ordered all the library materials I'll need for my research project, assembled the ingredients for my herb garden, ordered hand-painted Thai silk for the dress I'll wear for my daughter's wedding, arranged travel to the ASLE conference...and now at the end of the day I find myself with nothing to read.

Of course there's the newspaper and the latest Chronicle of Higher Education and the New Yorker, but I need a summer book--or, better yet, a whole pile of summer books. I'm not talking about heavy-duty theory or books related to my research project; I'm talking about the kind of book I want to read at the end of the day when my muscles are tired from weed-eating or gardening, something that will let my eyes just glide across the page without making too great a demand on my brain cells.

I've ordered the new Colson Whitehead novel but it's not here yet. Ditto Apologize, Apologize and the third volume of Javier Marias's Your Face Tomorrow, which isn't even available in English yet. But that's not nearly enough! I need an emergency infusion of light summer reading and I need it NOW. Suggestions, anyone?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I'm not quite at the end of spring term yet, I have no suggestions, but I am soon to be in the same boat: so I'd also love those suggestions.

The last books I read for fun? That was waaaaay back in February.

Joy said...

I've just cleaned my nightstand and carried an armload of books down to the office bookshelves. I'm happy to bring several to you to peruse and read should they suit your fancy.

Jessica said...

Well, I haven't read it yet, but I'm oddly drawn toward Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Joy said...

I'm reading P&P&Z and it's quite funny...it almost makes me want to read it side-by-side with P&P. I feel sorry for the professors across the country for the piles of the papers they will be grading next year on P&P&Z.

+L said...

You could always reread an old favorite! They're perfect for such times.

+L said...

Outside of that, there are many easily found book review websites that may lend you appropriate suggestions.

As for my summer reading, I've some heavier material planned; an inappropriate answer to your query, alas!

Bev said...

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies sounds just silly enough for the summer. I'll definitely put that on my list. Meanwhile, I've been reading some short stories by Ethan Canin, who is a terrific writer, but I'm already tired of the elegiac tone of all his old-man-reflecting-on-life stories.

Quackademic said...

I highly suggest Erdrich's Plague of Doves. It's serious and funny and sad and beautiful, with lots of history and many narrative voices and...yes, I'm a fan.

MountainLaurel said...

For silly fluff that makes me smile, I turn to Fannie Flagg, author of Fried Green Tomatoes. My favorite, though, is Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man. Parts are laugh-out-loud funny.