Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Other side of the desk

I just spent two hours in the lab struggling to complete my homework assignment for this week's Scientific Imaging class, and I'm exhausted. I don't understand the assignment! I can't make Photoshop behave! The prof is too demanding! Doesn't he know we're not all science majors?!!!! Doesn't he realize that I have three other classes??!!!!!!!!

Okay, I exaggerate. Actually, the fact that I spent most of the afternoon working on an assignment for a class in which I'm not even receiving a grade tells you more about me than about the class. Why don't I just slack off? It's not as if this will go on my Permanent Record!

We're only three weeks into the semester and I've already learned a few things from sitting on the other side of the teacher's desk. I've learned that I'm not too old to learn a few new tricks with technology, and I've learned that I need to work on my dithering (and if you haven't used Photoshop, you don't know squat about dithering), and I've learned that procrastination is not always a character flaw but can also be a survival technique--if I'd tried to do this assignment between meetings yesterday, my brain would have popped a circuit and sizzled until crispy.

Tomorrow I'll take a look at my classmates' results and see how my work measures up. I'm sure I'll learn a few things from them too. More than anything, I hope my classmates will teach me the secret to slacking off, because otherwise, it's just a matter of time until the sizzling starts.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Ah yes, and I'm spending time learning about the other other side of the desk. I still feel weird walking into a faculty lounge, and calling teachers by their first names. I still flinch when students call out to a student in my class who shares my first name.