Friday, February 27, 2009

Milestones

This morning I put on a wonderful suit that I haven't been able to wear since 1986. I didn't actually wear the suit to work because I don't have a blouse that matches, but still, it was pretty exciting to zip up the skirt on a suit that has been languishing in the cedar chest for 23 years.

It's a terrific suit: 100 percent wool, rich rusty brown, classic lines and timeless style. Last spring I took it out of the cedar chest, had it dry-cleaned, and hung it in a highly visible spot in my closet to act as inspiration, and I've been trying it on about once a week all winter. Now that it finally fits, I'll need to buy a blouse so I can wear it before the weather turns too warm. That will be my weekend challenge: find a wonderful blouse so I can wear my wonderful suit.

And then I'll work on getting into another treasure from the cedar chest: the Black Watch kilt skirt I bought in Ontario in 1984 (fits in the waist but not in the hips--yet). It hangs in my closet like a flag waving me on: "Get up off your buns and go for a walk!" it says, and if I obey often enough, one of these days I'll be able to wear it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You're the incredible shrinking professor.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the thrill of once again fitting into one's favorite clothes! Please get new shoes while you're at it, ok?

Congrats!