Thursday, July 03, 2008

Calendrically challenged

Just moments ago I experienced a startling epiphany: today (drum roll, please) is Thursday.

I realize that all right-thinking people were already aware that today is Thursday and in fact have been aware of that fact since the day began, but I've been feeling Fridayish all day long and plunging into despair over the impossibility of finishing all the projects I need to get done by Monday.

But suddenly I have a whole extra day. It's a gift, like finding money in the pocket of a coat you haven't worn since last winter. Another day, and it's mine, all mine!

Don't remind me that Friday is a holiday. It's not much of a holiday around here: the young man has to work and the old guy will be baking bread all day to prepare for the Farmers' Market on Saturday--and then after the final loaf comes out of the oven, I'll have to rescue the kitchen from the bread-baker's depredations.

But even if we won't have much time to celebrate the holiday, I'll be celebrating the sudden gift of an extra day in which to get stuff done. Those looming deadlines can back off a little bit: today is Thursday and I intend to enjoy every minute of it before it slips out of my hands, never to be heard from again.

No comments: