Thursday, April 24, 2008

Stooping for asparagus

I picked the first asparagus of spring tonight, just five small stalks, not even enough for a single meal, but more asparaguses are poking their little heads through the earth and even more will come up if I get the weeds out of the way. I went after the weeds with a vengeance, pushing in the potato fork to loosen the roots and then stooping and grabbing and pulling up one pestilent weed after another, and now I'm sore all over. Apparently the muscles I've developed this winter with all that walking and climbing are not the same ones I need for stooping and pulling.

There's certainly nothing wrong with the muscles in charge of chewing and swallowing. Nothing tastes more like spring than fresh asparagus straight out of the ground.

No comments: