Thursday, January 17, 2008

What happens in J-term stays in J-term

Some of my colleagues are teaching courses while cruising the Caribbean, so I'm sure they'll have some great stories to tell when they return--as well as some great stories not to tell. Not every story needs to make the trip back home.

I've enjoyed some similar freedom in my J-term class without ever leaving the cold north:
  • I have taught an entire class from a seated position--in a very comfy chair.
  • I have worn striped purple socks so fuzzy they make you want to pet them--in the classroom.
  • I have led a class discussion of testicular humor.
  • I have read and given positive feedback to a student writing about men's bathroom habits.
  • I have ordered pizza for the entire class on the last day--with the department credit card.
See what happens when you let an English professor outside the box? I hope nobody tells the Powers That Be about my intransigence; if the right people were to find out, they might get very, very angry and cancel next year's J-term.

But wait--they've already done that!

No comments: