Thursday, November 01, 2007

With great power...

Q: When is a prerequisite not a prerequisite?
A: When I say so.

At least that what I've been told.

Last year while we were revising our program to add a creative writing concentration, one of my courses gained a prerequisite. It was a good move intended to ensure that students taking an upper-level writing course have the preparation necessary for success in the course.

Next semester is the first time the course will be offered with the prerequisite in place, and now comes the deluge. Students didn't know there was a prerequisite, didn't pay attention to any of our publicity on the topic, planned their lives around taking that course, and now they won't be able to graduate unless I waive the prerequisite.

I gained some time by telling them I don't know who has the authority to waive a prerequisite, but then I found out that I am empowered to sign students into the course using whatever criteria I choose.

With great power comes great responsibility.

Now I have to decide whether I ought to waive the prerequisite and, if so, under what circumstances. Admit the students with the best writing portfolios or the best sob stories? I was happier before I knew I had this power: I can't just let the computer decide who can take the class but I have to actually think about it and then inform students of my decision.

Or not. I could Just Say No.

Let in students who may not be equipped to pass the course or keep them out and make it difficult for them to graduate? I'd like to put the whole question off until tomorrow, but I have a feeling solving this problem is a prerequisite for a good night's sleep.

No comments: