Friday, November 09, 2007

It's a bird! It's a plane!

Yesterday I awoke at 4 a.m. with nightmares about confronting Plagiarism Girl, and in the course of the day I had two surreal encounters with her, one in which she claimed innocence ("It's just a coincidence that my paper is identical to hers!") and another in which she tried to apologize her way out of trouble ("But I said I was sorry!"). That was enough for me: I cut short my office hours and came home early to go for a long relaxing walk around the countryside. Got a little windburn, but I'll survive. At one point I heard the sound of distant jet engines, but when I looked up, all I saw was a red-tailed hawk circling lazily above the meadow. I was just addled enough to think, "That's odd. A hawk with jet engines."

Students need to stop plagiarizing. It takes too much out of all of us.

No comments: