Friday, November 16, 2007

Teaching in the engine room

I walked into class this morning to find the room abuzz with sound--and not from students talking. It sounded like helicopters landing on the roof just above our heads, but I found out later that the heating system is having problems and we'll just have to put up with the noise and vibration until the part arrives.

Meanwhile, my class met in what felt like an airport terminal. The constant vibration made me sick to my stomach, and I can't even get away from it by going downstairs to my office because the whole building seems to be vibrating. By the time my class was over, I felt as if I'd spent the hour having my teeth drilled.

But all is not lost: I immediately went downstairs and requested a different room for Monday's class, and then we'll go on Thanksgiving break so the nasty thing can make all the noise it wants. When will it be fixed? "Soon," say the Powers That Be. Maybe we'll come back after break to a lovely sound of silence. That would be something for which to be thankful!

No comments: