Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A failure to communicate

I have to read five more freshman drafts before 8 a.m. tomorrow and I have two long meetings this afternoon, so here I sit practicing avoidance. Some of these drafts desperately demand avoidance, such as the one that starts off by asking whether a career as a professional football player is likely to hurt my health. Given that I am unlikely to pursue a career as a professional football player at this late date, I do not find the question compelling.

I suppose it is unreasonable to expect students to write about topics I care about, but it would be nice if they would either write about topics they care about or make some effort to show me why I should care about them. "Write as if your paper will change the world," I tell them, "but remember that most people resist change. Make me care!"

The same could be said of another little writing project: revising our department's vision statement. The best thing that can be said about our official vision statement is that its syntax is unobjectionable; however, our official vision focuses entirely on what we expect our students to do in the future after they leave here, leaving the present out of the picture. The message, in a nutshell, is that students should come here not because it's a great place to be but because it's a great place to have been. It's a particularly vacuous vision, probably no more compelling to prospective students than my freshman drafts are to me.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. To my students and my colleagues I say the same thing: "Make me care!" Otherwise, I might not be able to resist the temptation to pursue asecond career as a professional football player.

3 comments:

jaywalke said...

No one playing at ______ need fear the dangers of professional football. The freakishly good standout player on the team that routinely stomps ______ has nothing to fear from a professional career, because it is never going to happen.

I suggest that you urge the writer to look into the omni-present danger of personal meteor strikes, because that is a much more pressing matter.

Signed,

a knowledgeable football fan

Bev said...

Well, we've already determined that some of my students have a problem distinguishing between fantasy and reality.

And let's remember: the student was not writing about the dangers HE might face from a career in professional football but the dangers I might face. Now we've really moved into the realm of fantasy!

jaywalke said...

"Excelsiorbev can really tote the rock."



word verification: hjioysg - What the Norwegian Lone Ranger says when he mounts his trusty reindeer.