Friday, March 15, 2013

Party-poopers not allowed

I was talking to a colleague about an upcoming baby shower and she said she would attend on one condition: "Promise me that you won't be playing that poop game."

What poop game? 

I haven't been to a baby shower in so many years that I had never heard of this game, which is apparently all the rage: smoosh a candy bar inside a disposable diaper; pass it around and ask your dearest friends and loved ones to examine the diaper and identify the type of candy bar. Is that a Mars Bar or Three Musketeers? Maybe a little Grey Poupon?

Um, no thanks.

We won't be playing the poop game at my house tomorrow, and neither will we be playing the guess-mommy's-tummy-size game or Pin the Sperm on the Egg. No one will have to decide how to slice open a bulging-womb cake because we're eating the kind of cake I do best: angel-food cake with fresh fruit and whipped cream.  

I have no pink balloons, party favors, or streamers. I have prepared two games, one of which isn't even a real game. The bulk of the party will be a time to socialize with people we don't often see and share the joys and delights of impending birth.

And if anyone wants to get bent out of shape because I'm not embracing the latest baby-shower trends, then they can just throw their own poopy party.  

3 comments:

jo(e) said...

The poop game? Seriously? Ugh. I guess it's a good thing most of my friends are too old to be having babies any more. And I hope these stupid fad games are all over with by time our kids starting having babies.

Anonymous said...

I wish you planned *all* the baby showers I've had to go to. Except I could probably do without any games.

penn said...

eww. The only games we played when I did a baby shower were the "baby animal" game and the "who wants to guess the baby food flavor?" game. And I only picked baby food flavors I liked, so they were all fruit except for one chicken and veggie. Further, I did not force anyone to try baby food. I was fairly happy with the minimal amount of games we played.