Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday poetry challenge: no excuses

Last night I watched my former student perform a remarkable musical feat even though she had a perfectly good reason to back out. With so many people (and not just students!) eager to grasp any excuse to back out of commitments or do shoddy work, it's encouraging to see someone press on through difficulty and wow a demanding crowd. This week I celebrate my student's "no excuses" attitude:

My throat is sore, my roommate snores,
My uncle bought the farm.
My cat has fleas, my stomach's queasy--
Is that the smoke alarm?

My checkbook needs some money (please!).
The weather won't stop raining.
My hard drive crashed, my leg is gashed,
My brain cells are complaining.

I need a break! I just can't shake
The feeling that I'm cursed.
But I'll press on, learn my lesson:
It can't get any worse!

Now it's your turn: verse in any form celebrating a noteworthy accomplishment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve no need of excuses; my goose is cooked. If there’s anything left to roast it’s me. The spuds are done, crisped to a t, and the veg, chopped and covered are ready for garlic, oil and steam. So who’s that at the door? Surely I didn’t tell anyone to come before...? Yet here you are, bottle in hand, other finger on the bell. Well come away in. You’re just in time to watch the finishing touches. Will I ask you to open the wine?

D.