Friday, October 18, 2024

Random bullets of bright spots in a bleak week

  • Sure, the temperature was hovering just above freezing this morning, but we still have big fluffy yellow sunflowers standing tall outside my building, bright spots in fall days that vary between bright and bleak.

  • In my usual parking lot the other day I noticed that every car was either gray or black except my red car and my department chair's blue one. My department does its part to bring a little color to campus, but we can't be expected to carry the ball for everyone.
  • Our volleyball and football teams are still undefeated, a feat they've never before accomplished in my 24 years here. At some point they'll meet Mount Union, but I prefer not to think about that right now. Besides, maybe this is the year someone will prove that Mount Union is just as fallible as the rest of us.
  • And so, apparently, are the Yankees. It is a joy to have my Cleveland Guardians playing October baseball, but they've been struggling against the Yankees, which makes last night's walk-off win so much more exhilarating. I keep playing this video of David Fry's game-winning home run. Makes me happy every time.
  • Speaking of struggling, a prof from another college told me about an attempt to cut costs and improve efficiency on her campus: they eliminated all the photocopiers on campus except for one and put one person in charge of doing all the photocopying so that faculty have to send their copy orders to the Copier Czar to be printed out. But what happens when the Copier Czar wants to go on vacation? Faculty received an email telling them no photocopying for two weeks, so plan ahead!

I guess I'm happy that no one has tried to do that here--but I'd better keep the idea under wraps lest someone get inspired. So don't tell anyone, okay? I like my photocopier right where it is.


No comments: