Thursday, July 06, 2023

Trip prep trip-ups

Talk about excellent timing: yesterday I finally received the document I needed to get a permanent license plate for my new car. The temporary tag expires next week, in the middle of our road trip across seven states, and I could just imagine getting pulled over in every single one of them and cited for driving with an expired tag. This evening I'll get the resident handyman to install my new license plate and tomorrow we'll pack up and head on down the road.

My other fear was running out of  blood pressure pills in the middle of our trip, so I tried to get the prescription refilled yesterday; however, our insurance company wouldn't cover the cost because the refill was four days early. Fortunately it's a small enough cost that I was willing to cover it myself, but I find it bizarre that my insurance company thinks it would be better to skip my blood-pressure pills for a week than to refill the prescription four days early.

Still to do before we can leave: refill the hummingbird feeders (although the hummies seem perfectly content to rely on the bottlebrush buckeye right now), pack, print out my conference paper (first academic conference presentation since 2019!), send some important documents to the new provost, and attend what I hope will be my last-ever Faculty Council meeting. Oh, and figure out what to do with the sudden onslaught of garden vegetables. I mean, how much kale can two people eat in 24 hours?

I'll spend the day tied to my to-do list checking one thing off after another, and then tomorrow we'll pack up my beautiful new car and ease on down the road, free as a bird. I'll miss the hummies, but they'll do fine without me.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a lovely trip!

Bev said...

Thanks! It's going well so far, although taking I-90 across the length of New York in heavy rain is not exactly a walk in the park.