Tuesday, July 04, 2023

A regular waddle-fest

Waddling is my superpower I said, but I wasn't exactly myself at the time: I was speaking for an eight-inch-tall plastic action figure, some sort of robotic creature in teal and silver who was playing an important role in a drama orchestrated by my five-year-old granddaughter. 

She was using the pink Power Ranger figure, a misshapen hulk with too-broad shoulders and a tiny head. The action figures were having a contest involving jumping, kicking, and comedy, all scripted and directed by the five-year-old. All I had to do was follow orders, which at one point required trying to make the Pink Ranger laugh and at another point required me to proclaim an unusual superpower. 

"You're invisible," said Little Miss Dramatist, but in this case she was referring to the actual me rather than the plastic figure in my hand. Sadly, my invisibility wore off by the end of the game and I had to go back to being myself, just an ordinary grandma with no superpower at all unless it is the ability to fall in with the grandkids' plans.

Yesterday those plans included a ride on a sternwheeler on the Ohio River, where we saw a great blue heron, a pair of eagles, and lots of interesting boats. A passing coal barge was a big hit with the littles. This morning they're eager to go out in the garden with Grampa and pick some more veggies, and later we'll have a holiday cookout and a hike in the creek. At some point I suspect that we'll break out the marshmallows and make S'mores.

What a great way to celebrate our freedom: by eagerly engaging with the plans of creative young people as they charge boldly into the future. Or, in my case, waddle.

 

No comments: