Monday, January 09, 2023

A little respect goes a long way

Anyone who's ever worked as an adjunct knows a story like this one: Back when I was finishing my dissertation, I worked as an adjunct instructor at a community college for a few semesters. One semester I was on campus photocopying syllabi a few days before classes started when a full-time prof said, "I thought you weren't teaching this semester." I assured her that I was indeed scheduled to teach an American Lit Survey class, and she looked puzzled. When I got home, I found a message on my answering machine from the dean, who informed me that--oops!--they wouldn't be needing my services after all and she'd just forgotten to let me know. Sorry!

Well what could I do? I was a powerless adjunct, with no voice or rights or reason to expect respect. I got angry but I moved on.

A year later I was again working as an adjunct, this time for my current institution, and a few days before classes started the provost (!) came to my office (a real office, not a cubicle!!) in person (!!!) to tell me that one of my classes was being cancelled and to ask me what other kind of service I could do for the College in its place. Together we came up with a workable solution. I was still sad that the class had to be cancelled, but the consultative process left me feeling valued and respected--even though I was a powerless adjunct.

All leaders occasionally have to communicate bad news, but which communication method is more likely to improve campus morale, inspire employee loyalty, and promote further cooperation? At a time of budget crisis and staff cuts, when faculty members at all levels are expected to make sacrifices, I hope that the consultative method will prevail, but given the haste with which important decisions are being made, I fear that the last-minute-surprise  method is becoming the default.

I didn't want to be treated like a replaceable cog in a vast faceless machine when I was an adjunct, and I don't like it any better now--but at least now I can fight back. I doubt that my intransigence will have much impact, but it might make me feel a little better about the sacrifices we're being asked--no, required--to make.

No comments: