Friday, December 23, 2022

Stopping by birds on a snowy morning

Just now I counted nine cardinals on and around our bird-feeders, their scarlet feathers standing out brightly against the blowing snow. The ground beneath the feeders is hopping with juncos while finches, bluejays, woodpeckers, and the occasional starling make brief visits.

I thought about taking pictures but the camera bag is out in my car, and the temperature outdoors is something like 2 degrees Farenheit with a sharp wind blowing snow all over the place. My fingers don't work well under those circumstances, so let's just let memory supply the visuals. 

Last evening we celebrated my husband's birthday with a great meal and a visit to the Guernsey County Courthouse holiday light and music show an hour's drive north of here. It's amazing how many people will stand outdoors in a light drizzle dancing and singing along with Christmas music while the wind whipped cold rain into our faces, but at least it wasn't cold enough to change to snow. We came home cold and damp and ready to sleep and then woke this morning into a world of white.

I know that others not too far away are experiencing much worse weather, so I'm not complaining--especially since I don't need to go anywhere. My son made a lengthy road trip to his sister's house last night to deliver some gifts but turned around and came right back home to avoid getting stuck in a blizzard, but here we just have a few inches of snow and lots of wind. Earlier, my husband went out to batten down the hatches after some deck furniture went airborne. Right now I'm more worried about wind damage than snowy roads, but we'll be fine as long as we don't lose power.

Yesterday I worked on spring semester syllabi. Last night I sang Christmas songs. Tomorrow I'm baking a ham. Today, though, looks like an ideal day for sitting inside a warm house and watching colorful birds flit around the snowy feeders. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. 



 

 

 

No comments: