Thursday, December 29, 2022

Peachy at the beach

Ice cream for breakfast! What could be better? Grampa made waffles and the young folk provided the toppings, so we had grain, fruit, and dairy products, and we all know chocolate is a bean, right? An excellent way to start the day.

Except that wasn't quite the start. We walked out to the beach before sunrise, the grandkids' flashing sneakers lighting the way, and we looked at jellyfish and sand dollars--some still alive--while the sun came up. We had to bundle up for temperatures in the 50s with a slight sea breeze, but we expect sunshine and temps in the 60s and some great beach weather for the next couple of days. 

And we'll also have to work on finishing off the ice cream. This morning I had peach ice cream on peach waffles with whipped cream--yum!

The last time we had ice cream for breakfast was 40 years ago on our honeymoon right here on St. Simon's Island, and thereby hangs a tale. A month before our wedding, I had a fitting for my wedding gown and found it a tight squeeze. The grandmotherly Italian seamstress said she could make some adjustments before the wedding, but I would still need to watch my weight. "Don't eat-a no pasta," she commanded, and for a month I barely ate anything, which was difficult considering all the pre-wedding and pre-Christmas festivities. 

My mom reminded me that she'd lost 15 pounds just before her wedding, which she attributed to nerves, but I've seen the photo of her on her wedding day sitting in her bed smoking a cigarette. I didn't want to try the cigarette method of weight loss, so I spent a month depriving myself of everything wonderful and vowing that once this was all over, I'd eat whatever I wanted.

Which is why we had ice cream for breakfast on our honeymoon. Peach, if you must know. It was great.

For the record, I looked pretty great in that wedding gown--but I've never again been that thin, partly because of ice cream for breakfast. 

Now we celebrate these 40 eventful years with silly games, family walks on the beach, and ice cream for breakfast. What could be more fun? Let's not wait 40 more years to do this again.  




When the waves come close, everyone jumps back.

A tiny sand dollar, still alive. We threw if back.










 

No comments: