Thursday, December 09, 2021

Final exams: the gift that keeps on giving

People keep telling me it's just a number, and I guess they're right: Today I'm only one day older than I was yesterday, but 60 feels centuries older than 59. Then again, twelve years ago when I was undergoing cancer treatment I wasn't sure I'd make it to 50, so I guess I should rejoice over becoming a sexagenarian.

For more than 20 years I've regularly spent my birthday preparing for final exams, proctoring final exams, or grading final exams, and this year is no exception. A student is sitting in front of me taking a make-up exam right now, and I'm giving two more final exams later in the day, for a total of seven and a half hours of proctoring (provided that students take the whole exam period, which may not happen). And then I have a search committee meeting today to interview a candidate, and I'll finish the day with a celebratory supper with my son and some colleagues at the local Indian restaurant--socially distanced, of course. I don't want to create a superspreader event on my birthday so I felt a little guilty inviting people to eat out with us, but we can spread out at separate tables and still enjoying being in the presence of wonderful people.

I ought to be grading during all those hours of proctoring, but I've been grading papers all week and I'm tired. What I need is a face mask that makes me look wide awake while I sleep in front of the classroom. Now that would make a great birthday gift! Except I'm afraid my snoring would give it away.

A nice surprise at my department's holiday lunch.

 

2 comments:

Ann said...

Happy happy birthday! I also have a December birthday that many years was spent proctoring! But I'm almost a decade older than you, and now retired. Woo hoo! (I know...at one point I would never have considered retiring, but now it feels like being a kid again.)

Hope your grading goes smoothly and you will have some free time over the break.

Bev said...

Thanks! At certain times of year, retirement looks very attractive. This is one of them.