Wednesday, November 04, 2020

Flipping the syllabus

In response to a student's complaint about so many final projects all due in the final weeks of the semester, I said, "Okay, from now on I'll make final projects due in the first week of the semester."

"But how--" she asked.

"Final paper due the first week, preliminary draft due the second week, prewriting and thesis development the third week--that way it won't all be due at the end."

"But wait a minute--"

"Think of how easy the end of the semester will be! By the time I get around to explaining how to use the library's research databases to find the resources you need for a successful research project, it'll already be graded and returned!"

"But how--"

 And that's when I had to tell her I was joking. 

Judging from the alertness level in my classes this morning, I believe I'm not the only one who didn't get much sleep. 

 

 

3 comments:

Bardiac said...

There's a good reason things are due at the end of the semester... and about all we can do to change things up is put things a bit earlier. It's a hard balance! (By a bit earlier, I'm thinking the process stuff starts mid semester, and then there's time for drafting and revisions, and then turn in before finals.)

LJL said...

This is the funniest thing I've read in a while! Thanks for the giggle.

Bev said...

I confess that I am a horrible person: I have a student willing to believe every word that comes out of my mouth and sometimes I simply can't resist toying with her a bit. Evil evil evil.