Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Puzzling over the pandemic syllabus

Even under normal conditions, writing a syllabus is like solving a complicated logic puzzle requiring fitting the material into a certain number of weeks while avoiding certain obstacles--I need some space between the exam and the submission of the essay and I can't assign these two readings back-to-back, so let's put a library tour in the middle. And then I have to look at all my syllabi together to make sure that I don't set myself up to respond to drafts from all my students on the same day. It's a challenge, but I enjoy puzzles so it's one I don't mind tackling.

This time, though, the obstacles are different. Our fall academic calendar has changed to streamline the semester: we’ll start early, run straight through without breaks, and finish by Thanksgiving, and we’ve been advised to make our classes flexible enough so that we can go online at a moment’s notice if the pandemic warrants. The new calendar is not a problem, but I’m encountering some unexpected obstacles.

For instance: I always enjoy taking my honors students on a tour of the library. It's fun to watch them discover the joys of making huge shelves move or finding treasures in Special Collections, and I always make them check out a book just so I know they know how to do it. But under social distancing guidelines, how do I take my students on a library tour? I can't squeeze a dozen students into a confined space to show them the kinds of resources they'll find in the reference section, and Special Collections doesn't have space to allow social distancing for all my students at the same time. If they spread six feet apart during our tour, I'll have to talk so loudly that we'll disturb other patrons. Do I break the class into smaller groups and take them on separate tours? Construct a self-guided scavenger hunt? Cancel the library tour altogether on the assumption that students will do most of their research online this fall? Which priorities take precedence: pedagogy or pandemic prevention?

And that's just one of the many unexpected questions I'm struggling with as I think about fall syllabi. Here are a few others:

If my film class can't watch face-to-face on the big screen, I can make them available online through our course management system--but how do I discourage students from watching films on their tiny smartphone screens? 

I can commit to doing online writing workshops to minimize time spent passing papers back and forth in the classroom, but how do I monitor the quality of the feedback they offer each other without vastly multiplying my workload? I don't want to read every comment a student writes on another student's draft! 

I understand that plexiglass dividers are being installed in classrooms to allow faculty to teach without wearing a mask, but what if I have trouble staying behind the divider? How do I curtail my tendency to wander around waving my arms while teaching? Will small-group work be possible in socially distanced classes and, if so, how do I visit those small groups without violating social distance?

What about class presentations? Do I assume that students will be able to present material face-to-face or schedule all presentations for online class meetings? Or just ask them to be prepared to do either? If some students present online while others present in person, how will my expectations differ? Is it better to require them all to present in the same way?

This is just the beginning--I've got two months to mull over these issues before classes start, and who knows what may happen in that time? It's like trying to solve a puzzle while the parameters keep changing--suddenly the borders change or all responses must be written in Swahili, and then oops! Back to English. At some point I'll get this all figured out, but meanwhile, you know what's keeping me awake nights.

No comments: