Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Always something

A nothing day! Summer ought to be full of them: days with absolutely nothing on the schedule, no pressing tasks requiring immediate attention. But it's hard to do nothing when the yard needs mowing or the flower beds need weeding or the birdfeeders need filling or the windows need washing, and I can't relax any better at the office surrounded by reminders of classes that need to be prepared and books that need to be sorted and returned to shelves.

The only way, then, to have a real nothing day is to leave my immediate surroundings and go somewhere where I'm not responsible for anything--like, say, a vacation. But who can go on vacation in the middle of a pendemic? I'd have to first overcome my fear of public rest rooms and then find a way to relax in the midst of people whose commitment to social distancing may not pass muster.

So I stay home and try to dull my conscience, try to read a book near the big picture window without being distracted by the birds wondering why the feeder isn't full or the lawn calling out it's time to mow! or, worst of all, the window itself asking me how I can stand to look through such grubby glass. It seems that right now doing nothing is simply not possible because there's always something. Why can't the pandemic go on vacation and leave us all alone?   

No comments: