Saturday, May 09, 2020

Mothers Day, together and apart

Four years ago I spent Mothers Day in a hospital room in Florida with my father and brothers gathered around my dying mother's bed, a scenario that seems bizarre now: five people crammed together in a hospital room and nobody wearing masks! It wasn't how I'd hoped to spend Mothers Day, but if I had to endure heartbreak, it was good to be surrounded by family.

Today we celebrate Mother's Day weekend at a distance from those we love, but we'll try to demolish distance tomorrow with a family talent show on Zoom.  I'm planning to recite a couple of poems but I don't know what talents the rest of the family will share. Given the musical skills spread around our bunch, the possibilities are intriguing; those too shy to sing or too young to play an instrument can pound on a saucepan or turn a somersault. Everyone will contribute, no one will be judged, and everyone will be applauded. That's my kind of talent show. 

What are some other ways families are celebrating together distantly? 

No comments: