Thursday, May 07, 2020

And now for a break from all the whining

I really miss my birding-and-botanizing buddy, whose eyes and ears guided me to many interesting birds and wildflowers before she moved to Minnesota. These days I'm pretty good at spotting growing things, but I still struggle to recognize bird calls in the wild and I can't keep my glasses on when I'm sweating so I have trouble seeing the birds I'm hearing. This morning, though, I was getting out of my car in the parking lot at Lake Katharine when I spotted a blur of red high in a tree right in front of me. I snapped some photos right away, not entirely sure of what I was seeing, and then I went on my hike through the woods, taking a different path from usual to avoid flooding and to get a look at the lake and the waterfall, which may be small but was roaring like Niagara. On the Calico Bush Trail I found a small patch of wild irises budding, which makes me want to go back in a few days to see the blossoms. Then I got back to the parking lot and saw another blur of color in the same tree, yellow this time, and suddenly I knew what I'd been seeing: a pair of scarlet tanagers, both hanging out in the same tree. Is there a nest nearby? If so, my weak eyes will never spot it.

You should have seen the mist rising from the base of the waterfall.

If only they could speak...





 

No comments: