Monday, February 24, 2020

Winged palette

I'd like to call these bird photos Arrangement in Gray and Black but apparently the title is already in use. (Should I apologize to James McNeil Whistler or to his mother?) And besides, arrangement suggest that I did some arranging, which is patently not the case: my job in these circumstances it to sit as still as possible so as to become invisible to the birds and wait for them to land where the lens can reach them. Also, while it's true that gray and black appear in each photo, they don't at all cover the range of colors appearing around my birdfeeders yesterday. Goldfinches still sport their muted winter colors, but when the feeders are full, I never fail to see brilliant flashes of red and blue. And now the red-winged blackbirds have returned! Soon they'll be perching on fenceposts all over the county, but for now I see just a few early harbingers of spring. 





 

No comments: