Sunday, June 02, 2019

That's why they call it a wetland

From a distance I saw swans--mute swans, I think they were, but I would have to get closer to be certain. Fortunately, the marsh was part of the new Meadowbrook Marsh park near Marblehead, on the Lake Erie coast, so I pulled into the parking area and headed for the boardwalk for a hike through the marsh.

From a distance I saw great blue herons soaring and landing and standing on a post behind some cat-tails, and I promised myself some terrific photos as soon as I got onto that boardwalk. Sadly, though, I don't carry hip-waders in my camera bag. The path to the boardwalk was under water and I couldn't find a way to get any closer to the marsh without swimming.

So you'll have to take my word for it: there were swans and herons and who knows what else just beyond the reach of my lens. It was a beautiful evening for a walk by the water,if only the water had stayed off the path.

The path to the boardwalk....impassable.

Yellow warbler singing right overhead.

Hello, little house sparrow!

Marblehead lighthouse.

Lovely Lake Erie.
 

No comments: