Sunday, January 07, 2018

On daring to ask dumb questions


From Timothy Morton, in his new book Humankind:
Theory class is intimidating, students are shy, participation is part of your grade, and so on. So, I say to them, "The dumber a question you ask, the higher a grade you will get." Children are well known for asking the most profound questions because these are the most simplistic: Why are you my dad? Do we have to have Wednesday? One teacher I like says, "Dare to be dumb." Some of us theory teachers could remember that a bit more when it comes to writing theory-style prose, no? It might be quite a relief if the questions became more profound and sound more dumb, and looked less sophisticated and intense. It might be more like what Socrates was aiming at, saying that he was just a clown, an eiron, from which we derive our word irony. This isn't just a cute version of theoretical wonderment, setting the bar nice and low for intimidated students. This is the actual face of theoretical reflection, not just a dumbed-down version of it.
Good advice as I put the finishing touches on my literary theory syllabus. The question is, will I dare to dare my students to be dumb?

Also, why do we have Wednesday?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Blame the Norse