Friday, October 14, 2016

The week that won't end

After multiple classes in which students actively resisted speaking, thinking, learning, or even making eye contact,

and after 24 hours spent fighting some sort of energy-eating virus that danced jigs all over my digestive system,

and after wobbling my weary way through the pomp and circumstance of the inauguration of our new college president,

and after grading a pile of papers and prepping for a mess of classes,

and after an emotional phone call with a family member struggling to keep his head above water (both literally and figuratively),

I'm ready to turn my back on this long crazy week and go home.

But first I have to take pictures at a departmental shindig. Which means I need to do what a fellow faculty marshal commanded this morning when I complained about not feeling quite up to leading the procession at inauguration: "You'll just have to suck it up and get the job done."

So I'll once again paste the big plastic smile on my face, mingle with the assembled poohbahs, snap a few shots, nibble some cheese and crackers, and resist the urge to curl up and snooze on the comfy sofa. 

Time to put on the Happy Teacher Face! But I'll keep my eyes on the prize: an early exit and a long soothing drive home.    

No comments: