Monday, March 21, 2016

I don't know where to put this so I'll just leave it right here.

You know you live in the sticks when the local newspaper can be relied upon to include a spelling error in an article about the regional spelling bee. This time they misspelled the.


A student e-mailed to ask whether adding subtopic X will improve his paper. "It depends on what you do with it," I told him, and then I offered some suggestions. I don't know what he can do until he writes, but he doesn't want to write until I tell him whether his writing will be good enough. I don't see a way out of this impasse.  


Rambling? Just a bit, but you'd be rambling too if you'd had the kind of day I've had. I'm lucky I still remember how to spell the.

I didn't intend to hit that bunny this morning--honest! It just ran out in front of me in a thick fog. At least it wasn't carrying a basket of colored eggs. (Wait, bunnies carry baskets of eggs? Who thought that was a viable plan?)

Didn't get the summer research grant I applied for. Nuts. Now I'll have to find a different way to motivate my summer work. Maybe I'll lay in a supply of little gold stars.

A friend recently posted a bunch of photos from our church youth group events when I was in ninth and tenth grade, and every time I appear, I'm happy. This does not accord with my memories of adolescence, which are full of loneliness, despair, and self-loathing. Either the pictures lie or I'm an expert at viewing life through mud-colored glasses.
That would be me.
 

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

Oh, I love seeing the high school photo.