Thursday, December 13, 2012

A taste of moonlight

What's the best part of finals week so far?
  • Driving to campus in daylight? Nice, but that's not it. 
  • Grazing on the yummy goodies popping up in every office? Close, but no cigar. (Which is good since this is a smoke-free building.)  
  • Finishing the Sports Lit class's grades early so I don't have to think about class anymore? A high point, sure, but not the very highest point.
No, the best part of my week so far is a little automated e-mail that pops up in my inbox every day to offer information or suggestions about our anniversary trip to San Diego next week. I'll be drowning in a wave of asinine essays or trying to calm a crying student convinced that her not-at-all-borderline F should be transformed into a D, and then I'll glance at my inbox and see the magical name of the bed-and-breakfast where we'll be staying in Encinitas, and immediately I stop what I'm doing and pay a little visit to our winter oasis.

The first message contained driving directions and a map, so no big deal except the map was clickable and expanded to show the Inn's proximity to the beach. "Moonlight Beach"--the name alone serves as a vacation. 

Another message offered dining suggestions with little capsule reviews including walking distance from our Inn to each eatery and tantalizing references to shrimp tacos. Shrimp tacos! That's not something you see in Ohio.

Today's message introduces The Coaster, the train that carries visitors to the heart of San Diego's harborfront for a mere $7, rolling past majestic views of beach and ocean. 

For a while I've had trouble believing we're actually going to make this trip, but these daily reminders make it feel real--and then I go home in the evening and share the highlights with the hubby, who spends at least an hour each evening with his nose in the San Diego tourist guide. I tell him about The Coaster and shrimp tacos and he starts talking about tidal pools and whale-watching.

We leave on Sunday but in many ways, we're already halfway there.

But of course we can't go at all unless I get my grading done. Back to work! Moonlight Beach can wait.    

No comments: