Saturday, October 06, 2012

Random flotsam from a floppy mind

Twice in the past week I've been part of a very small group charged with completing a specific task with a close deadline, and both times the experience was delightfully productive. Why can't all committee work be so satisfying?

Grading midterms from different classes makes the information all run together in my head, which may explain why it took me a moment to figure out what was wrong with the claim that a particular work written in 1852 contained an allusion to the Gettysburg Address. Antebellum time travel! Who knew?

I returned the borrowed leash to my neighbors today without encountering Apollo the friendly doberman or the bottomless barrel of dog biscuits (read it here). The neighborhood was pretty deserted. I assume everyone is hanging out at the Oktoberfest shindig over on the river. I once worked a very long afternoon at Oktoberfest selling sandwiches at the band booth just across from the karaoke booth, and the karaoke-induced trauma cured me of any desire to attend Oktoberfest.

Startled a great blue heron in the creek this morning, which reminds me that yesterday I met with a student whose passions are rowing, writing, birds, and nature photography. He's Mini-Me! Except for the rowing thing. And the gender thing. And, let's be honest, the age thing. So not really like me at all except that he's the only student who has ever gotten excited about my green heron photos.

No comments: