Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dispatch from a different world

This is what I look like after snorkeling. Trust me, you don't want to see what I looked like before snorkeling or even, to a certain extent, while snorkeling. I don't want to get too graphic here, but let's just say that I believe the fish enjoyed my breakfast more than I did. If you get my drift.

(Drifting is the problem: I felt fine during the 30-minute boat ride out to the coral reef, but as soon as the boat stopped moving straight ahead and started bobbing, I was lost. Yes, I took Dramamine, and no, it didn't help.)

But forget the seasickness: what did I see?

Well, reefs, for one thing. Coral and spiny things and leafy things waving gently in the rolling swells. Fish, in schools or solitary, darting amongst the floaty stuff in sparkly silver or neon shades of yellow, indigo, and orange. There's a whole world down there!

And there's a whole different world just minutes away among the mangroves along shore, and several different worlds just up the highway in the Everglades, where a few inches' difference in elevation or water level can allow two adjacent areas to support entirely different flora and fauna.

I can't hope to understand all these different worlds in just a two-week trip, but that won't stop me from immersing myself in the environment--sometimes literally. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

3 comments:

Bardiac said...

That's SO cool! Hurray for you!

Andrea said...

You are insane.
Never, ever -- under any conditions or circumstances -- scuba dive. Especially in warmer waters.
The sharks know your name, and they will get you. If they do not know your name, they know mine and that you're my friend and they will gnaw on your flesh out of spite.
Do not scuba dive ever again. You just got lucky this time.

Bev said...

I would do it again if I could get a helicopter to drop me out at the reef, but the whole bobbing in the boat thing was pretty unpleasant.