Monday, October 24, 2011

Shades of gray

I walked to the upper meadow yesterday to see some fall color before everything turns dull and brown, and there I saw deer tracks, a roly-poly groundhog scuttling off into the underbrush, and this bird. It's a juvenile woodpecker of some sort, about the size of a hairy woodpecker but fluffier and with just a hint of red on the forehead and chin. Its dull gray plumage blends right in with the gray tree bark, and every time I stepped closer, it would scoot around to the other side of the tree or fly to another branch. A pretty boring way to spend a lovely afternoon, but I've been struggling with a sinus infection and that's about all the excitement I could handle.

2 comments:

Bardiac said...

Wow, coolness!

I'm GUESSING (though it sounds small for this) a yellow-bellied sapsucker, perhaps?

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-bellied_Sapsucker/id

The juvenile description and picture seem about right.

Bev said...

Yes, that's a good possibility. I've seen adult sapsuckers here, but very rarely.