Monday, October 17, 2011

50/50 Update

In the past two months I have thrown a paper airplane at a faculty meeting, stood in the cold rain listening to music that's not at all my style, played a Monty Python clip in a literature class, worn blue sparkly nail polish to the office, attended my first-ever college football game (which we won, suggesting that I ought to attend more often), and stolen an umbrella.

Borrowed. I borrowed the umbrella, and I am fully prepared to return it as soon as the person who left it behind at a Board of Trustees committee meeting steps forward and demands that I hand it over. 


I have now reached number 20 on my 50/50 Challenge: 50 unusual, unexpected, or outrageous things to do the year I turn 50 (read about it here). I have broken no laws (unless someone gets really picky about that abandoned umbrella) and so far I haven't done anything that demands much preparation or funding, but a few of the more complicated items on my list are waiting for January, when my sabbatical begins.

Best of all, I have made some people really happy. Including me, which is sort of the point.

4 comments:

jo(e) said...

What a great idea. I turned 50 in April of this year. Maybe I should start doing some unexpected things ....

Bardiac said...

What a GREAT idea!

I want to copy, but I'm past 50. But then, I could make one of my choices doing the list anyway!!! :)

Nicole said...

I nominate you to do something complete outrageous at a certain meeting tonight. :-)

Anonymous said...

At age fifty five, the temptation is to surpass limits by, say, seven miles per hour.

D.