Monday, September 12, 2011

Insert clever title here

Today's the day! The honeymoon's over! This is where the rubber meets the road: all my students are turning in some sort of writing this week, so I will get a good look at their writing skills and they will see my responses to their writing and get an inkling of how much work lies ahead.

And how much is that? I've just briefly glanced at a few dozen drafts and I am pleased to note that most of them follow the format guidelines pretty well and only a few have titles like "Essay 1" or "My Draft." I tell students that the reason I insist upon a good title is that it makes them think about how to appeal to reluctant readers, but the fact is that I just don't ever again need to see another essay called "Essay 1" or "My Draft." At this point I'm amused by the essays called "Insert Clever Title Here" because at least those students are aware of the need to write a title, but occasionally a student fails to follow up and I end up with a final paper called "Insert Clever Title Here." It might have been clever the first dozen times I saw it, but eventually the cleverness wears off.



No comments: