Monday, March 28, 2011

A Spring by any other name

One name won't do for a season that shows a different face every day. Call it the season of Too Many Coats at the Office: cold mornings make me choose warm outerwear, but midafternoon sunshine drives all memory of cold from my mind and I go home empty-handed. Next morning, the temperature is below freezing but where's my winter coat? Back at the office--with my raincoat and two light jackets.

Or call it the season of Wondering When It's Safe to Plant Pansies. They don't need as much warmth as other plants but they do need some. Is it warm enough yet? How about now?

One day it's the season of Welcoming Back Buzzards and the next day begins the season of Waiting for the Trilliums to Return. Soon it'll be the season of Getting Serious about the Lawn, quickly followed by House-Painting Season and the season of Who Moved My Umbrella?

Today it was the season of Only Occasionally Just Right: the fleece pullover I wore while walking the dog kept me uncomfortably cold in the shady spots, unbearably hot in the steep sunny spots, and Only Occasionally Just Right. But what else could I wear? All my coats are still in my office.

No comments: