Monday, March 21, 2011

On the rebound

Geologists tell us that land masses can take thousands of years to rebound after glaciers retreat and take their immense weight with them. Today I feel as if I'm experiencing a thousand years of post-glacial rebound in a single day as a whole continent of weight lifts from my shoulders.

The provost search is over. The editing project is complete and approved and ready for publication. I took a class to California at just a smidgen over the projected budget. The poetry papers are graded. The daily assignments for freshman comp are coming to an end. And tonight I will preside at my penultimate faculty meeting before someone else takes over as Faculty Chair.

As all that weight drains from my shoulders, I feel something deep within me springing back to life. Goodbye glaciers! Hello spring!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Huzzah!!!