Thursday, December 09, 2010

Donny 'n' me

There was a time, however brief, when I could gain status among my peers by loudly announcing that I have the same birthday as Donny Osmond; these days the announcement would likely be greeted with "Donny who?"

Donny is 53 today, and I hope he's enjoying his birthday. I'm 49. Really. No, I'm not "49" [wink-wink]. I've never been in the habit of lying about my age and I don't intend to start now. Maybe next year...

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my birthday by attending two holiday breakfasts and two holiday lunches, although I don't intend to feed at all four troughs. I'll have a nibble here and a nosh there and mostly enjoy the chance to relax with colleagues and students.

I'm waiting for my son to get home before I use one of my birthday gifts: a big pasta bowl my daughter made, with cheery colors on the outside and pasta ingredients on the inside. It sits invitingly on the sideboard, and the happy little tomato seems to always be smiling.

As am I. I have too many places to be today and not enough time to do it all, but I'll enjoy once again the chance to share a birthday with Donny Osmond.

5 comments:

Bardiac said...

Happy Birthday!

That's a lovely bowl! Your daughter has talent!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Bev! Hope to see you in FL ~ Laura :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to a fellow Sagittarius, Bev!

I was a Donny Osmond fan way back when he looked like that album cover: Such a cutie, eh?

John Norland said...

Hi Bev,

We have the same birthday (year and everything). I liked to tell people that I had the same b'day as Donny Osmond and Dick Butkus--always dug the yin and yang of that. I'm a friend of Joe Sullivan's though Mike "Ace" Baker.

Have a great birthday,

John Norland

Bev said...

Let's not forget Milton, who would be celebrating today if he were alive.

My wonderful honors students surprised me this morning with a hand-made birthday card featuring a photo of a very young Donny Osmond on the front. Clever kids. I'll miss them next semester!